Saturday 25 July 2015

Reaping the Rewards

The garden has gone crazy! I think the soil is a little too rich. The potato plants reach up to my boobs and you need to be as thin as a host you get at Sunday mass to squeeze in between the rows.

Potatoes, peas, beans, kahlrabi, beets, radishes, onions. Our own little market garden. Had our first feed off of it the other day. I tell you, there's nothing like sitting down for a meal where first of all you know what you're eating and where it comes from, and second, you know it can't come any fresher than from the earth to the pot on the stove.

Putting a seed in the ground and watching it grow always amazes me. It's the miracle of life that evolves right before my eyes and it is so symbolic of life for human beings. But whether it's plants or human beings we're talking about, what isn't well taken care of struggles to survive and what is nurtured, tended to and cared for with love, not only grows but thrives!

1 comment: