Saturday 2 January 2016

Joy Ride

Went out for another walk today. I had to kick my butt to pull myself away from my books and writing but once I was out there it was good. I would love to be able to sneak in a walk everyday. I got two days in a row now. All I can do is aim for number three.
Little pine cones all over the snow.
I also went for a joy ride to the emergency department at the Peace River Hospital. It's a 50 minute drive to get there and a 50 minute drive back. That's almost 2 hours of my precious day off.

However, my elbow has been giving me a lot of grief and people have been after me to get it checked out. After much hemming and hawing on my part I decided I might as well get myself over there. So off I went.

I saw a nurse who took my vitals and heard my story and, as expected, there were people ahead of me so I sat down to wait for my name to be called.

Then I waited some more, (patiently), for the next 3 hours. During that time all the people who were there when I arrived were called in to see the doctor, plus 3 or 4 others who got there after me.

By this time I'm alone in the waiting area. Again, I waited (this time not so patiently). Another 15 minutes went by. Things were quiet and I couldn't see the doctor anymore. I went to the desk and asked the nurse, or whoever it was, who was eating her supper behind the desk.

"Will I be seeing someone soon do you know?"
"Who would you like to see?"
"Uhh, a doctor,"
"Oh. There's one coming in but I think he's coming to deliver a baby. I have no idea how long it will be." She spun her chair around and back to her supper she went.

I opened my mouth to ask why the doctor who was just there hadn't seen me and why those who came in after me had gone through then decided there wasn't much point. She made it clear she wasn't interested in hearing me.

I (had no more patience), I put my coat on and left.

By 7:30 pm I was back home, elbow issue unresolved and still a pain in the ass.....I mean ... arm.

I've had a hell of a lot more pleasant joy rides let me tell you.

No comments:

Post a Comment