Saturday 1 October 2016

The Forest & Dreams

I drove by my old place today. Not the farm where I lived with my ex and my children but the one where I was born and raised. The house I used to live in is gone and a new one stands in it's place but the garage is still the original one my dad built and the barn in the back is still the same.

The pine trees I helped plant and care for as a child are 4 or 5 times my height now. Andree asked as we drove by; "Is that the creek you used to play in and the dugout and bush you used to go in?"

Sure is, I said, but there used to be a lot of water running in those ditches, down the creek and under the bridge. It was like a roaring river sometimes.

And yes, that's the dugout I used to go to with the .22 to try and shoot muskrats and that's the forest where I used to walk around in or sit under a spruce tree and watch the squirrels, jack rabbits and various birds come and go all around me. I often spent hours there lost in thoughts and dreams.

"Some days I wish I could go back in life. Not to change anything, but to feel a few things twice." Unknown

You want to know a secret? That's exactly what I get to do when I write about things.

When I went to Quebec city in July of this year, I found this little oasis of forest only a few blocks from where I was staying. There too I got lost in thoughts and dreams.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul." Unknown


Now really. What more could a person ask for - a forest and dreams. The real stuff life is made of.

No comments:

Post a Comment